Getting here and advice about your stay

Entry requirements

The following information was accurate at the time of print but may change at short notice.


If you are visiting Argentina for a short stay on business then you will not need a visa. The Argentine Consulate in London can give you more information on work or residence permits. See:

You do not need a visa to enter Argentina as a tourist unless you are travelling on an Emergency Travel Document. On presentation of a valid British passport you will normally be granted a 90-day stay in the country.

If you wish to extend your stay for another 90-day period, seek advice from the Argentine Migrations Office at:

If you are travelling to Argentina for any purpose other than tourism, including non-tourist visitors to Antarctica departing from an Argentine port, contact the Embassy of the Argentine Republic in London, at:

Passport validity

You should have a full ‘British Citizen’ passport valid for the proposed duration of your stay. No additional period of validity beyond this is required.

Proof of onward travel

You may need to provide proof of onward or return travel. You should make all flight reservations before departing for Argentina. Airlines have sometimes refused to board passengers travelling to Argentina without proof of onward travel.

UK Emergency Travel Documents

UK Emergency Travel Documents (ETDs) are accepted for entry, airside transit and exit from Argentina. However, holders of an ETD must apply for the appropriate Argentine visa to enter the country.

For entry into Argentina, your ETD should be valid for the proposed duration of your stay. No additional period of validity beyond this is required.

[Source – DIT/]



ATMs are widely available in Argentina. Credit cards are accepted in most hotels and major shops and restaurants. Photo ID may be required. Travellers’ cheques are not always accepted. 


Travel advice

If you are travelling to Argentina for business, check the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) travel advice page first, for up-to-the-minute travel information, at:

Travel insurance

Take out comprehensive travel and medical insurance before you travel. See the FCO Foreign Travel Insurance guidance at:


Local laws and customs

Do not become involved with illegal drugs of any kind. Possession of even very small quantities can lead to a lengthy prison sentence.

Argentine society is open and diverse. Same-sex marriage is legal; rights are protected by the Constitution and by legislation tackling all kinds of discrimination. Argentina is signatory to international and regional agreements protecting LGBT rights. See the UK Government’s information and advice page for the LGBT community at: before you travel.

There are legal restrictions related to companies involved in hydrocarbons and fishing industries in the Falkland Islands/Islas Malvinas.

[Source – FCO Travel Advice/ (April 2018)]


Safety and security

99,391 British nationals visited Argentina in 2017. Most visits to Argentina are trouble-free.

If you need to contact the emergency services, call 911 or 101 (police), 107 (ambulance) or 100 (fire). For English assistance in Buenos Aires contact the Tourist Police on: +54 (0)11 4323 8900, extension 116310 (available 24 hours). In Mendoza contact: +54 (0)261 413 2135.


Organised crime presents no direct threat to UK business in Argentina. However, check the latest FCO Travel Advice at: before you travel.

[Source – FCO Travel Advice/]

Extreme and adventure sports

If you take part in extreme or adventure sports (including paragliding, climbing, off-road driving and hot air ballooning), make sure adequate safety precautions are in place. Only use reputable operators and insist on training. Make sure your travel insurance covers all the activities you want to undertake.

Political situation

Political demonstrations and picketing are more common in Argentina than in the UK. They can take place at many public locations throughout Argentina. Some demonstrations attract large numbers of people. There have been cases of demonstrations turning violent. You should monitor the media and avoid demonstrations.

There have been occasional Falklands/Malvinas-related protests outside the British Embassy and British affiliated businesses in Argentina. However they do not pose a physical threat to UK citizens travelling or residing in Argentina.

Local travel

Groups of demonstrators (piqueteros) sometimes block major roads into and out of Buenos Aires during times of social unrest. This can cause significant delays.

Air travel

British Airways and Norwegian Air UK operate direct flights between London airports and Buenos Aires.

Flights from airports in Argentina can be susceptible to delays and cancellations. Check with your airline or travel company before travelling to the airport.

The International Air Transport Association publishes a list of registered airlines at: that have been audited and found to meet a number of operational safety standards and recommended practices. This list is not exhaustive and the absence of an airline from this list does not necessarily mean that it is unsafe.

A list of recent incidents and accidents can be found on the website of the Aviation Safety network at:

Road travel

You will need an International Driving Permit (IDP) to drive in Argentina. See:

Driving and road safety standards vary. Respect for speed limits and traffic signals is patchy, and other road users can make unexpected manoeuvres.  Crime against car users, particularly when stationary at traffic lights, is a problem. Keep windows closed and doors locked at all times in major cities.

Take care when driving in the Province of Misiones close to the borders with Paraguay and Brazil; the area is used to smuggle goods. Seek local advice if you intend to drive in this area.

Sea travel

In previous years there were a few cases of disruption by activist groups and unions against British-flagged shipping, and shipping involved in hydrocarbons or fishing activity in the Falkland Islands/Islas Malvinas. However, these types of acts ceased a few years ago. Cruise ships and visiting tourists should not be affected.


While terrorist attacks cannot be ruled out in any country, they are less likely in Argentina than in Europe.

Natural disasters

Many northern provinces suffer from seasonal flooding. This can lead to disruption to transport and delivery of foodstuffs. Flash floods can occur during heavy rains in other areas, such as the province of Buenos Aires. Monitor local media and follow any instructions given by the local authorities.

The Copahue Volcano on the southern Argentina/Chile border erupted in 2011 causing local residents to be evacuated. However these types of eruptions are quite exceptional. If you are travelling to this area, monitor local media reports and follow the advice of the local authorities.

[Source – FCO Travel Advice/] 



Visit your health professional at least four-to-six weeks before your trip to check whether you need any vaccinations or other preventive measures.

Country-specific information and advice is published by the National Travel Health Network and Centre on the TravelHealthPro website: and by NHS (Scotland) on the FitForTravel website:

Useful information and advice about healthcare abroad is also available on the NHS Choices website:

UK health authorities have classified Argentina as having a risk of Zika virus transmission. For more information and advice, visit the website of the National Travel Health Network and Centre at:

Medical facilities in Argentina are good, but can be expensive. Public hospitals tend to be crowded. Make sure you have adequate travel health insurance and accessible funds to cover the cost of any medical treatment abroad and repatriation. If you have a specific condition you should bring a sufficient quantity of medical supplies and medicines with you.

Asthma, sinus and bronchial problems can be aggravated by the polluted atmosphere prevalent in major cities worldwide.

Dengue Fever can occur in some areas of the northeast of the country throughout the year. You should take steps to avoid being bitten by mosquitoes. See: and

If you need emergency medical assistance during your trip, dial 107 or 911 and ask for an ambulance. You should contact your insurance/medical assistance company promptly if you are referred to a medical facility for treatment.

Make sure you have adequate travel health insurance and accessible funds to cover the cost of any medical treatment abroad and repatriation.

[Source – FCO Travel Advice/ (April 2018)]


comments powered by Disqus

Contact Form